I am more than grateful that my husband is a chef. I love when he treats me to dinner at a new restaurant doing outrageous things with food. I've been exposed to some of the world's best restaurants; I've tried everything from fois gras to lamb's testicles (well, actually I only ate one testicle, but still). And my rule of thumb when dining out, is that I'll try anything- once.
BUT, there are several things I do NOT like to eat. I've tried them all, most more than once but there is just something about them I don't like. My mother always said, "Life is about choices, and I choose not to."
I now present you with the list of foods/food types I do not enjoy eating.
1. anything that has been bruleed.
2. chunky mushrooms
3. ginger...unless in cookie form
4. fatty meats. SICK. I can't stand that floppy chunk of clear goo on a nice piece of beef.
5. fermented black beans
6. anything that has been turned into a gelee. I'll eat it, but after a while that texture-less glob sort of makes me gag
7. foams. They look like spit.
8. Unfried spring roll wrappers
9. hot mustard. I'm a French's yellow mustard gal
10. wasabi, I like spicy, but not that kind of spicy.
** This one is the one I hate the most!
11. cooked fruit chunks! Because of this phobia I don't even like apple pie. There is something about cooked fruits that makes me say "pass".
I'm sure most foodies would be surprised to know this list was written by a chef's wife. But oh, well. Notice, lamb's testicles didn't make the list. They aren't that bad after all.
It's so funny to read what you don't like...because I like almost all of those (except for the foams, gelee, and fermented black beans. Ick!) If we ever get to meet up for a dinner, we'll have to order carefully, my dear, LOL! And kudos to you for eating lamb's balls...you're a braver woman than I!
This is a great list though mine is much different. Most people tell me that my husband's talents are wasted on such a picky eater! I NEVER eat cheese--ever. Sometimes even the smell causes me to lose my appetite. It is the aversion I hate to have.
I can't believe you tried lamb testicles. You are a brave woman!
I'm not a big fan of ginger either... and the number one thing I hate the most is CORIANDER! The taste is just so distinct, and while it can go unnoticed in a dish by someone who doesn't mind it or likes it, I can taste every single little green evil speck.
I'm impressed you ate a lamb testicle! And it's funny to know that you prefer them to cooked fruit chunks :)
Melia, I totally think that coriander is one of those things that people either love or loathe...nothing in between! Kind of like anchovies.
Post a Comment