Speak Up

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I'm Fine, But Not Fine

Nearly two weeks ago I experienced one of the scariest nights of my life. I was meeting three teacher friends in West New York and I was walking alone to a restaurant. I was crossing the parking lot when a cab made a left hand turn (running a stop sign) and hit me. The front of the cab struck my left hip and I fell on the ground. I'm not sure how I fell or even how I landed because it all happened so fast. The first person to see me was ...of course...the chef of the restaurant. He was outside on a break and he helped me to the curb, called 911, and stayed with me until my friends got there. What a great guy. A couple of ambulances came and since I was able to walk on my own I went to the hospital about a mile down the road with my friends. After four long hours in the ER, I finally heard the babies heartbeat and I was immediately able to relax.

The baby is fine. I had an ultrasound a few days later and the breathing and movement are all great. All in all, I suffered some bumps and bruises, but I'm still in a lot of pain. My knee is really messed up and it's been hard to walk ever since. Hopefully that will go away in another week or two. My back is aching all the time as well. Emotionally though, I'm a wreck. That night was so scary and Erik was all the way in Hawaii opening a new resto. He was able to fly home the next morning to took care of me. I'm so grateful for him being able to come home so quick.

My friends certainly go to to know me on a new level that night. Let me tell you-if you want to get to know someone better-spend the night in the ER. The urine samples, personal questions asked by doctors, and my big belly hooked up to heart monitor all let my friends in pretty close that night.

As far as the cab driver goes-the police filed a report and we've hired a lawyer. That won't be over for another year or so, but I'm glad someone else is handling all of the paperwork.

My goal now is to relax during my Christmas break, heal my leg, and enjoy the holidays.

Food is Love,


Marianna said...

Now I know what you mean about dealing with things.

I hope that they find the cab driver who did that. That is absolutely the scariest thing I can ever imagine.

My thoughts are with you and your family and I hope that you can relax during Christmas and heal.


Unknown said...

Oh Hilary! I'm so glad you're okay! How scary. Have a healthy and happy Christmas.

Best wishes,

Tiger Lily said...

I'm so happy you're OK!! How frightening!! When you are pregnant and something happens it shakes you to your core...hang in there...Heal. Sleep. Cry...get it out. Glad it wasn't worse...

Happy Christmas!


PS Im not some freak who checks there email on Christmas...hubby got me Mac Book and kids are already pooped out napping!

Melia said...

Hilary - it's been so long since we have heard from you, and this update was quite frightening! I'm glad to hear that you and the baby are well. Take it easy and be safe for the rest of the holidays. Lots of love.

DCW Jes said...

Oh Hilary! That sucks so bad. I hope all is well. That sucks really bad that it happened while you are pregnant too. I can tell you from experience the back pain doesn't get easier so if the cab driver wants to settle make sure you are going to the dr for it. I still wish I hadn't settled almost 3 years ago. I have pains still and backs are harder to heal unfortunately. I am glad nothing major happened to you or the baby. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Anonymous said...


I haven't been checking your blog as dilligently as before, but decided to log in as my flu-stricken chef is preparing for work.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I am so thankful that you are okay! Take care of yourself and enjoy your break!


Jessica Conant-Park said...

God, how totally awful. Bad enough under "regular" circumstances, but to be pregnant... I can't imagine the terror. Please keep us posted on how you are feeling. I'm so happy you at least had some friends with you at the ER and weren't alone. And how great that Erik was able to come home so quickly. Poor guy... he must have been a wreck. Big hugs to all three of you!

psa ri said...

Oh Hilary - Been super busy but finally got a chance to check your blog - Hope you're doing well & so so glad Erik was there for you the next day! Let us know how you're doing now :o) --Paige.